Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Couple of recipes

Since I have so much free time not being on Facebook, I have been wasting time on Pinterest :). I have been trying some of the recipes and just collecting information. So I thought I would share my results. One recipe is edible and one is a toiletry item. I have been trying to use more natural products around the house for cleaning and personal care. I just got paid for a survey I did and used my earnings to order me some more lavender eo and oregano oil online.


Crock Pot Lasagna - I wish I would have gotten to take pictures but I made the lasagna, it got done and I tried a little bowl and then went to bed. I woke up and my daughter and her boyfriend (mostly him) had eaten the entire crock pot full so I would so this was a good recipe :).

20 0z spaghetti sauce ( I semi homemade make my own)
9-12 noodles
32 0z cottage cheese
1.5 cups of mozzarella cheese


I already had the sauce made and in the freezer so I just thawed it. I mixed the cheeses in a bowl. I broke the noodles up into about 2 inch squares. I layered sauce, noodles, cheese finishing with noodles on top then poured some sauce on it to cook in. I cooked it on low and it was done in a just about 3 hours. It wasn't as pretty with the layers as oven lasagna but it tasted the same. We currently have no oven due to remodeling the kitchen and so this was a good substitute but honestly if I had an oven I would prefer it in the oven so it would be better layered.



Home made deodorant- background story is that about 15 yrs ago I had a horrible reaction to store bought deodorant. Up till that time I just used whatever I had a coupon for. I don't know what caused it, if it was the deodorant, or something else in my life but all the skin on my arm pits became a painful raw mess. It was summer and sweat was horrible. It took months to heal, I had to walk around with my arms up most of the time. I had no insurance so couldn't go to a dr. When it finally healed I used those crystal deodorants but they didn't help with odor. Finally I tried Dove simply because it was hypoallergenic. And for all these years thats all I would use. I was afraid to try anything else. Trust me not a repeatable experience. I have been seeing all sorts of recipes on pinterest on how to make your own. All the recipes are basically alike so here is what I finally mixed together. I have used this for a week now and its awesome, no underarm odor even the next day. No sweating problems. Not sure how it will be this summer but so far loving it and best of all no reaction.


1/4 c baking soda
1/4 c cornstarch (next time I plan to try arrowroot because its even better for your skin but I had cornstarch in the house)
4 tbsp coconut oil
5 drops lavender oil (this is one of my favorite healing herbs)


I mixed the baking soda and the cornstarch until it looked blended, then I used a fork to mix in the coconut oil. Finally I added the lavender oil and mixed it all up. Mine ended up about like a salve consistency. Its solid but when you run your fingers in it there is an oil feel but you can also feel the dryness of the powder ingredients. I just get a little bit on the fingers and use it that way. Like I said, I have had complete coverage so far. No odor by nightfall or the next morning nor a sweating problem. I really like it and plan to make again. My next batch is going to also include a few drops of oregano oil.

This is how it ended up looking, I used an old butter bowl to store it in ;)




Another thing I tried this past week was the detox bath. Everyone keeps talking about how wonderful they are. I have had a terrible backache for 2 weeks now, not sure whats causing it as the pain comes and goes. I do know its a muscle pain though and not my kidneys. So anyway I thought I would give this a try. It was awesome. I was able to get out the tub and sleep for the first time in ages. Before I was in so much pain I couldn't sleep because every time I moved I cried.

2 cups epsom salts
2 cups baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger



I added everything to a tub of hot water, I also dipped a really thin towel in the tub and put in my back like a super hero cape :). Then I just soaked for about 20-30 minutes. Honestly I don't know how detoxed I was but I felt pretty good so thats all that counted. I will be repeating this at least once a week.

0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Butterfly Acres. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase