Pages

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Year of the Snake

This is the year of the Snake according to the Chinese. I don't follow any form of astrology but I just like the Chinese New Year celebrations :) I read an interesting tidbit in Family Circle magazine that said if a snake is in the house means your family will not starve. I'm sorry but I would prefer to starve. I am absolutely terrified of snakes. I freeze if I even think one is near by. I just don't understand the people who want them as pets. I know when the Bible refers to snakes it is referring to the devil but as far as I am concerned head crushed under the heel is great for all snakes.
We love an excuse to party and any new year is a fresh start as far as I am concerned. So we will be having a party. I thought I would share some links I found with you. The Chinese festival lasts for 15 days.

Menu

Pomegranate Fizz Mocktail
Egg Drop Soup- My daughter wants egg drop soup
Ham and Pineapple Fried Rice- I love shrimp fried rice but this year we are going to try ham and pineapple fried rice. Pineapples are for prosperity.
Cream Cheese Egg Rolls
Orange Chicken with Sesame Noodles
Clemetine Cake Going to substitute mandarins for the clementines.
I am going to cheat and buy fortune cookies. :)

Activities

Asian Folding Fan-  I loved making paper fans when I was a child, as a matter of fact I have a bunch of folding fans now. One in my purse, one in my desk and one by my bed. I always feel like a southern belle when I carry one :).
Red Envelopes- going to put in a few lucky coins
Goldfish Kites- I love kites and I know goldfish are good luck symbols in China
Lanterns- You can't have New Year's without lanterns.
Snake Craft you can't have a year of the snake without a snake


Odds and Ends

Traditions and Superstitions

A traditional Chinese Song



And another chinese song






0 comments:

 
Copyright 2009 Butterfly Acres. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Templates created by Deluxe Templates
Wordpress by Wpthemescreator
Blogger Showcase